Sunday, October 5, 2014

the little dipper

I seem to have missed yesterday. Oops. I will make up the day - 31 posts, I promise!

I wanted to share another favorite dip recipe. I pretty much make this one every time we host a party (along with a pan of brownies!) and it usually gets finished (and when it doesn't, I have the leftovers as a snack). It's super-easy. I may even have shared it here before, but it definitely merits inclusion in the month of comfort food.

You will need:

-package of frozen chopped spinach
-brick of cream cheese
-medium onion
-shredded cheese
-package of imitation crab or salad (teeny) shrimp

Mostly thaw 8-10 ounces of frozen chopped spinach in a deep-dish pie plate in the microwave. Meanwhile, mince a medium-sized white onion. Dump the onion in with the spinach (once it's thawed). Chop up 4 ounces of imitation crab (which is not really crab - but it is really fish!), or, if you want to be FANCY, 4 ounces of salad shrimp - spending money on larger shrimp is pointless, you want them in small pieces).

Put the chopped fishies and the brick of cream cheese into the pie plate with the spinach and onions and mash together with a fork. (You could also add a dash of Old Bay if it makes you happy.) Sprinkle about four ounces of shredded cheese (I usually use something mild, like Monterey Jack) on the top, and pop it in the oven. Half an hour at 350 degrees is about right, but the recipe isn't fussy - if you already have the oven on for something else, you can bake the dip at whatever temperature. Just remove it when the cheese on top has turned gold.

Serve with tortilla rounds (since they're sturdy - the big "restaurant-style" tortillas will break if you try to scoop the dip with them), sturdy crackers, pita chips, or baguette rounds. Gluten-free, low-carb, and contains all the food groups (except carbohydrates)! But most importantly - easy to make, and seriously delicious. Perfect for throwing together for a football party.

(I came up with this modest "recipe"  all by myself, but I'm sure someone else had already thought of it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment