Monday, April 7, 2014

linen presses and sadness

I told you all about my plan.  I have been working on my demolition, as promised.  (Sadly, I seem to be coming down with something AGAIN, which typically means that I put in a full day at work, spending the afternoon with a splitting headache, and then come home physically exhausted, unable to accomplish anything more impressive than folding a load of laundry - when in fact what I need is to knock out two hours of hard labor.  Which is not so bad.  I'm young, and I need more exercise than I get sitting at a desk.  But if I'm sick, I'm not so useful for manual labor.  This is seriously threatening my closet, and I am displeased.  I need to come home with massive amounts of energy if I'm going to pound this project out.) 

But I'm not done whining.  You know how I was having a debate about a linen press?  (In my last post.)  Then I was catching up on a home tour with Layla today, and I saw this:


And I feel I cannot go on with any plan that does not involve having one of those myself.  Even though I have already bought a light and conduit and studs and have started breaking and/or sawing things in earnest, my (quite elaborate) planning process ground to a halt when I saw that photograph. 

I cannot say for certain whether that is a linen press (it certainly could be) or merely a century-old built-in closet in a gracious Southern mansion, but I must have one.  The wheels (feverish wheels, riddled with headache) chugged into gear.  I don't really want to reverse the work and plans I've already made for the new master closet.  Also, this would not be large enough to hold all our stuff.  Also, it would infringe on the headboard space in our room.  It is not an adequate substitute for the shimmy-in (as opposed to walk-in) closet I am working on. 

But I could have it somewhere else.  I could, for example, build something like this into the space where the tall dresser is now.  It would be a built-in, and I have already pondered the possible problems with a built-in linen closet in the second bedroom.  Of course, I could use it as a linen closet myself, and let any future buyer imagine it as a built-in closet (so what if that room has two?  It had two when we bought it).  Or, I could build it into the hallway somewhere?  It's not small.  And the not-smallness is one of its most attractive features, so scaling it down would not be a solution.  And the hallway doesn't have a lot of space for building things in (something I have been vaguely contemplating for a while). 

I should also clarify that, when I say, "I could build one," I mean this in the sense that I built most of my kitchen cabinets.  I can make the shell (recessed into the wall, presumably) and paint it.  I can steal a drawer from a solid-wood dresser with nice edging and paint that, and I probably could build a box and drawer glides for it.  I can find some nice pre-milled molding to frame the cabinet out and install that, too.  But for those doors, I will need to find some real antiques at salvage.  Too bad I didn't buy these things when I saw them originally:


The giant arched things, not the glass-doored cabinets.  (Although the cabinets also captured a considerable amount of my interest.  I wanted them for my bathroom.  Or maybe the laundry room/pantry.  The set of three was $675.)  Granted the giant arches are so large that they would swing out way too far.  And they are not a natural shape for a door and might need a rectangle built around them.  And they are glass, of course, which is not necessarily what you want on a linen closet.  And they were several hundred dollars apiece.  Even so...

3 comments:

  1. That's simply gorgeous. I want one, too, even though it would be totally out of place in my not-renovated 1970's rental house. ��

    ReplyDelete
  2. SALVATION WITHOUT FORGIVENESS

    Is it possible to be saved without having your sins forgiven? Was Saul saved by faith alone before his sins were forgiven?

    If Saul was saved on the road to Damascus, then he was saved without having his sins forgiven.

    Saul believed in Jesus on the road Damascus, but his sins were forgiven three days later in Damascus
    Act 9:1-19......9 And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank....

    Saul sins were forgiven in Damascus, three days later, not on the road to Damascus.
    Acts 22:1-16.....10 And I said, 'What shall I do Lord?' And the Lord said to me, 'Get up and go into Damascus, and there you will be told of all that has been appointed for you to do.'.......16 Now why do you delay? Get up and be baptized, and wash away your sins,calling on His name!

    Saul was not saved by faith only. Saul was saved by believing and being baptized in water.

    Jesus did not establish faith only salvation on the road to Damascus. Jesus confirmed what He already had said "He who has believed and has been baptized shall be saved"... (Mark 16:16)

    You cannot be saved unless your sins have been forgiven.

    In order to support the doctrine of faith only men have offered many reasons why the Scriptures cannot be trusted.
    REASONS.
    1. The Bible is not the inerrant word of God, it has many errors and contradictions.
    2. You have to be a Greek scholar to understand the Bible. If you understand the original Greek language, then you would know water baptism is not essential for forgiveness of sins.
    3. You need to use extra-Biblical writings to understand the plan of salvation.
    4. The Bible has been mistranslated, therefore men are saved by faith only and not the way it is presented in the Bible.

    If God is not smart enough to give men an accurate translation of His plan for salvation and Christian living, then why would anyone trust in Him for salvation or for anything else.

    God has given us His plan of salvation in many translations, in different languages. You do not have to know Greek.You do not have to have a Greek dictionary. You do have to be Greek. If men had to be able to read and understand original Greek to understand the Bible, then all Bibles would be in Greek.

    GOD IS INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO GUIDE MEN TO GIVE A TRANSLATION OF THE BIBLE IN THE LANGUAGE THAT YOU READ! JUST READ IT AND BELIEVE IT.

    Men are not saved by faith only and there is no verse of Scripture that states men are saved by faith only. Men are saved by faith, but not by faith only.


    YOU ARE INVITED TO FOLLOW MY BLOG. http://steve-finnell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In view of that information, my conclusions about linen presses are totally changed.

      In all seriousness, who is positing that man can be saved without his sins being forgiven? That sounds like a straw man to me. Mr. F here seems to be countering the traditional Protestant "sola fidei" argument, except here it's "faith without forgiveness" rather than "faith without works." Which is just absurd. Who is claiming, "I believe ardently in God and embrace Christ as the Savior of the world, and I desire to take up my cross and follow Him, but I categorically refuse to be sorry for having offended Him or accept His forgiveness if offered"? Lot of nonsense.

      Next time, Mr. F, try to keep the comments to fertility and furniture. You might conceivably do better in those arenas.

      Delete