And as you see, I'd been cutting away the white wall-board at the bottom. I finished that:
There were all sorts of complications with those vertical posts, and the width of the horizontal parts, but I do not want to think about them anymore. I heroically framed around them:
Which took, approximately, forever. Then I fetched out some of this:
And put it between the studs:
I marked the stud locations with painter's tape on the floor and top ledge, so I could attach the drywall:
With screws that you cannot see. (Well, you can see one, in the lower-right corner.) But trust me, they're in there - otherwise, the drywall would not be up there. Can you tell that the top ledge differs in width - it almost vanishes toward the corner? Let me assure you that the board I bought for this purpose does not vary in width. I don't know what I was supposed to do - a curved cut? As always, the area I'm working with was insane. I have come up with a brilliant solution: ignore it, and it will go away. Then I spackled over the screw holes:
I am a very competent spackler. But, I am a very very poor drywall screwer-inner. (And/or my drill bit was crap. My screwing job got worse as the bit stripped, and I didn't notice till fairly late in the game. Still my fault.) And apparently I have lately lost my spackle-mixing skills and cannot regain them. Once I ran out of my pre-mixed can, everything I missed dried within 120 seconds (I'm actually not exaggerating), and I sort of LUMPED it on the wall after that. No amount of sanding will fix that, so it's a happy thing that I have nothing better for you than cell phone pictures. Because you can't really see it here. And then I put on one coat of paint:
Imagine what I'll be doing this weekend. It could be ANYTHING!