Thursday, January 3, 2013

sawdust

I was supposed to be done with the kitchen - the entire kitchen - by approximately December 15th.  Now I am saying January 15th.  But...

First of all, the last major project is/was supposed to be the floor.  It was going to be slate, as I mentioned.  Then I found the original wood floor.  About the same time I found the 2000-3000 brad nails.  It took me six and a half days of exhasting work to remove them all.  And only then could I start on the tar.  (As I expected, the tar was horrible, but it paled in comparison to the brad nails.)  After I had stripped the tar, the floor was still covered with a filthy muck. 

Enter the random orbital sander.  Not the little palm ones you can buy for $50 - the giant walk-behind one that you rent for about that much. 

I have never seen so much sawdust in my life. 

After that sanding, I was supposed to get out my palm sander, touch up the spots that remained, patch two spots on the floor with new floorboards, stain the floor, varnish it, and put up the baseboard.  Little of that has happened (I have patched the larger of the two spots.  And I bought the baseboard.  Does that count?).  Because I have spent most of the intervening time cleaning sawdust out of, and off of, everything in the kitchen.  It also escaped to other areas (despite a strategically hung drop-cloth), but my DH has done the most work on those.  I have literally washed every dish we own, and every piece of flatware.  The last of the pots and pans are in the dishwasher now.  I suspect that we will be finding little traces of sawdust months from now.  And it's not nice, clean sawdust from brand-new wood.  It's gross demolition sawdust. 

On the other hand:


On yet a third hand...my remaining to-do list:
  • remove rotten boards by radiator
  • fit and attach replacement boards
  • stain floor
  • varnish floor
  • install baseboard
  • finish painting beadboard
  • finish painting walls
  • finish staining stool tops
  • varnish stool tops
  • paint stool bases [yes, I'm using two finishes per stool.  Why make life easy?]
  • adjust pull-chain on light
  • paint window and door frames
  • fix filter on vent hood
  • find dry sink
  • paint dry sink
  • unpack vases
  • re-fit doors on cabinet #4
  • install final base cabinet
  • add hardware to final base cabinet
  • find seller for soapstone countertop for final base cabinet
  • build and paint face frame for sink cabinet
  • build and paint door for sink cabinet
  • attach sink cabinet door and hardware
  • adjust faucet
  • finish caulking around sink
  • adjust stove feet
  • find missing burner caps for stove
  • fix broiler??
  • find and add decorative corbels for small countertop
There's no reason to suppose I can't get that done in twelve days.  While I'm working. 

12 comments:

  1. What are you going to do when the kitchen is done???

    ReplyDelete
  2. that floor looks amazing. seriously. entirely worth the effort. good job!! can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like hardwood floors! Looks like you did a beautiful job on them.

    I'm getting tired just reading your "to do" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I were you, I would stop killing yourself with the deadlines, but then I am not you and that's just part of the reason I don't have a beautiful home with a kitchen to renovate.

    Even just that little snippet of floor got me all excited, and not even just excited for you.

    Stick to it, but I will not be sitting here on the 15th upset if you haven't finished yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohmygoodness -- simply gorgeous. I am in awe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You go girl! That is quite a to-do list...made me tired just looking at it...hahaha and you are working full time as well? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You never cease to amaze me!! I gawked for a good thirty seconds straight at that photo. Stunning. Let's work on your pitch to hgtv for your own show, shall we? I would seriously be addicted to that.

    Our bathroom reno, part 1, is coming up soon. It's not going to be anywhere near as gorgeous as your kitchen, but I'm excited nonetheless. On the schedule for this weekend is finally choosing a paint color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE projects! And lists of projects. And hardware stores and such. P.S. Have your dh check his FB messages :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, your to do list is long! The floor looks amazing, great job well worth the work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, when do you get time to do all this? Sawdust is the worst. We put in hardwood floor through out the house before we moved in and when the were doing the upstairs they were using the master b.room and bath room to prep the wood. It was painful to remove the dust from blinds, bathroom and doors. I am sure if I look hard enough there are places I may have missed.

    I can't wait to see pics of your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could have sworn the computer told me my last comment would post. Ugh. What am I doing wrong? testing 1, 2, 3

    ReplyDelete