Friday, November 2, 2012

the coolest bathtub EVER

I have been planning to write a post on "How I Spent my Hurricane Sandy Vacation" that will be slightly hindered by the facts that (1) I am not finished with those projects yet and (2) I forgot to take before pictures, even though there was ample opportunity to document my hideous walls. 

If I had sense, I would show off the table (done - for a while now) and cabinet #4 (done for almost a week).  That might even disguise the fact that I am super-slow.  (Are you losing confidence in my finish-the-kitchen-in-time-for-Christmas-cookies deadline?  Because you should know that I switched the plan from subway tile backsplash to beadboard backsplash.  Not to save money - it will save money, but subway tile is pretty cheap and I was fine with the cost - but because there are some serious fitting challenges with the backsplash [and the other walls], and it would be my first time working with tile, so I foresaw disaster.  I've gotten comfortable with several hand saws, the circular saw, painter's caulk, and the stock molding section at the Big Orange Store, so I'm thinking I will be better equipped to manage challenges if I work with wood and wood-like materials.  And I am a lot faster with those materials.  Or, at least, have learned to be patient while waiting for paint to dry.) 

Of course, as you can see from the title, none of that really has anything to do with this post (although sometimes I do that just to throw you off) (actually, usually when I type the post title, it applies to what I think I'm going to write about, but then I get sidetracked on some huge tangent, and I usually leave the original, misleading title anyway, 'cause I'm a little bit* contrarian like that).  OK, well, actually, here's a sneak peek of cabinet #4:


BUT ANYWAY, like I said, I was planning to talk about a bathtub.  I just read this amazing before-and-after story on designsponge, which you should immediately go and read here.  (Never let it be said that I am unable to appreciate style preferences other than my own.)  In my humble opinion, the money shot from the whole collection is this one:


WHAT IS THAT?  It looks like a galvanized bathtub.  An AWESOME galvanized bathtub.  I scanned through the comments at hyperspeed, greedily seeking the answer.  Apparently, despite my small-town bona fides (plus we lived down the street from a dairy farm when I was in high school), there are things country people readily recognize that I don't.  At some point in life, I will have to remedy this.  To several readers, it was obvious that it was a "stock tank" - a big ol' bucket used to hold water for cattle!  To google I went, and immediately happened upon a major retailer, with stores all over the country (even near me), selling this:


You can read that, right?  It says they're selling a heavy-guage zinc-coated steel stock tank, two feet high and six feet in diameter, for $249.  Here's a bit of a close-up:

(The fellow in the design photo found one with some interesting detailing; peruse a few more agricultural supply stores and I'm sure you'll find a variety of designs.) 

First of all.  Do you know how much more it costs to buy a brand-new bathtub?  Even an uninteresting one.  Even a fiberglass one!  It costs way more than $249.  Secondly.  Galvanized steel ways a LOT less than porcelain-enameled cast iron (the only acceptable bathtub material - or so I recently thought...).  I bet one person could get this thing up to a second-story bathroom!  And finally.  Did you read that part about SIX FEET in diameter?  That's big enough to invite friends.  Of course, it's also big enough for a normal-sized adult to drown in while trying to have a relaxing bath, but I'm going to go ahead and speculate that these have much more textured bottom surfaces than the average bathtub, so I think you could sit yourself at the desired position and stay put. 

I see one drawback: given that it holds 390 gallons when full, you might have to do some reinforcing of the floor joists before putting it to use.  (But I note that the homeowner featured above uses his as the base of a shower, which would not cause a weight problem.  It comes with a drain - it's a stock tank, people - and although I haven't measured out a circular shower pan before, I think it would be a generous size for one person.) 

Industrial is a style I love, but don't generally have in my house.  But I am starting to think I may not need to hire a plumber to put a shower pan in the attic, if we ever do finish it and decide to add a bathroom up there...

* A lot. 

6 comments:

  1. As soon as you said "dairy farm", a watering tank came to mind (or stock tank or whatever you want to call it). I think it is a marvelous idea! However, this brought to mind the hilarious (well, not at the time, my mom was utterly horrified - pun intended) One day my brother came home from visiting the neighbors - he was maybe 10 at the time and he was soaking wet. She asked him how he had gotten wet and he said "we went swimming". Well, the neighbors don't have a pool, so she was perplexed. She then asked the dreaded question "where did you go swimming?". Well, of course the answer was "Mom...it was hot out so we went swimming in the horses' water trough". Yeah, gross....

    She called the neighbor and asked if this was indeed true - yep. We were promptly reminded to never go swimming in the horse's trough EVER. Have you seen the water in those things? Bath water sounds so much more dignified. LOL!!

    But it still is a really cool idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, you could invite friends! LOL. :)
    You could probably use arm floaties to make sure you don't drown while relaxing and drinking a glass of wine.
    Or... you could use a raft and perhaps have room to spare? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola
    Yo estoy haciendo lo mismo en mi casa. I love your blog. You have a new follower from Chile

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember seeing plans for a stock tank hot tub in some solar energy magazine Hubby and I used to buy (when we were still dreaming of our New Mexico homestead). I love the idea of it as a shower basin, not so sure I'd like it as an every day tub - cold metal, brr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fellow Catholic endometriosis sufferer / infertile here. Long time reader, first time commenter. I grew up in Western Kansas and we used stock tanks as swimming pools. Also as stock tanks. Ha! I think it's hilarious that you want one as a bathtub. They are HUGE. And full of cow slobber. And ugly, by the way. They look nothing like galvanized buckets / totes / etc. that you can buy for residential use.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fellow Catholic endometriosis sufferer / infertile here. Long time reader, first time commenter. I am from Western Kansas and we used stock tanks as our swimming pools. Also as stock tanks. I think it's hilarious that you want one as a bathtub. In my mind they are full of cow slobber. ha! Also, they are ugly - they look nothing like the galvanized buckets / tins / etc. you buy for your home.

    ReplyDelete