Saturday, May 12, 2012

say hello to Bailey

Much has happened.  (And I continue to celebrate having a list of answers to, "So what's new with you?")

I bought a 1952 Wedgewood stove.  It's sitting in the carriage house, where I'm trying to refurbish it.  It is one heck of an intimidating project; I may finally have taken on one too big for me.  But, I did get the four burner valves turning; now I've just got to get the main oven valve to turn.  And, um, I have to do so by tomorrow.  Because the plumbers are installing it Monday, and it will have to work.

And I have to clean tomorrow and make dinner for our priest and some other friends who are coming over.  Also Monday, the plumbers are finishing the powder room!  The penny-round tile is already in, and a replacement marble threshold, and they threw out my original vintage sink (!), so they agreed to replace it, and I found an even cooler vintage sink on craigslist (for a really good price - I'm nice to do business with, I swear).

Yesterday, I got my first depo provera shot.  I barely felt it - from now on, I think my husband can give them to me at home.

But the real news for today happened just this afternoon.  My husband and I drove out to meet a woman giving away her precious doggy (she had just gotten divorced and couldn't keep the doggy, sadly).  Bailey the Dog appears to be half Greater Swiss Mountain Dog and half black lab.  She is five or six, and is polite and well-behaved.  She pulls a bit on her leash, but that's OK because she's only 50 pounds (unlike the 135-pound behemoth of a St. Bernard we were considering.  But he was very expensive, even though a rescue).  She likes going for walks and hanging around outside, and generally following us around.  (I know she will be sad for a few days, because she doesn't understand why she had to leave her family or even where the heck they are, or where the heck she is.)

I know I don't have a surprise adopted child or anything like that, but say hello to Bailey!

21 comments:

  1. Hi Bailey! Welcome to the family cutie-pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful! Hope the transition is easy for her - it can't be easy leaving your family for a new one. Doggies are awesome, and thanks for sharing the pics of your new addition to the family :).
    p.s. dying to see what this stove looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hellooo, Bailey! How fun! We absolutely adore having a dog...makes like so much sweeter :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!!! Love those big eyes! And she has such beautiful coloring. So excited for you...I'm such a major dog person. They just add something to life that you can't get anywhere else. :) I hope you know this means you have to post copious amounts of Bailey pictures now, or I shan't be satisfied. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Um, this IS a surprise adoption!!!
    She is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love the mix!, she got the best of both in that look!
    Clearly I'm excited for you. Moreso than I would be for someone's surprise adoption of a child the night before Mother's Day ;) I don't need that crap.
    LOVE. HER.

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats! she is lovely and I know will find a loving home with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bailey is so cute! And I can't wait to see a bathroom update!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is one good-looking dog. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And what a great name for a lawyer-type's dog! (what a coincindence!). I am still reading, but mostly from my phone and commenting is all but impossible. Please document the transformation of the stove - will say a little prayer at Mass today that everything works out before Monday. Enjoy your evening with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Welcome Bailey!! She's gorgeous! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adorable! I hope that you have fun with your new canine friend! Good luck getting your stove to work. I can wait to see some picture of the renovation updates.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awe...have fun with your new doggy. She looks sweet. My dh and I contiplated a dog for a bit after we had to put our cat down. But then I fell in love with a kitten and that was that. We brought home two kittens and they are great friends with us and with each other. Enjoy your new pet!

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI Bailey!! Soo good to have a walking partner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is SO cute!!! <3 her!!! I'm glad she found a great home with you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Bailey! Nice to meet you! I definitely agree - she is beautiful and looks to be a great companion. Oh and umm...where are the pictures of the stove? I want to see those as well!!!!! And the tile and everything else. What are you going to cook for the Priest? Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She's lovely. I feel so bad for her previous owner. I hope Bailey adjusts quickly so she can be a happy, contented pup again. I don't think it takes them long when they know that they're being cared for and that someone cares about them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Also... NEED PICTURES of WEDGEWOOD STOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Bailey! She's gorgeous!!! I have Bernese Mountain Dogs, which are cousins to Greater Swiss - they're great breeds, very lovable! Enjoy your new sweetie!!!

    ReplyDelete