Tuesday, September 27, 2011

hello?

OK, yes, fine.

On September 26th we closed on the house. Yes we did. Even though my husband decided he wanted to back out of the deal that afternoon, and the bank's approval came in while we were all sitting around the settlement table.

On September 27th we moved in. That's when I saw it for the first time after it became ours. I totally fell in love. It's my house. Yes, I want to change very many things about it. But only because I love it so much.

September 28th I spent five and a half straight hours cleaning our rental. And paid the lawn guy $140 to mow and do outrageous amounts of labor on the weeds and bushes (it's a whole acre, but that's still outrageous) because it was looking like our landlords were looking for an excuse to keep our security deposit, and that would be so much more. When the landlord's agent called the next week and said she was very impressed with the condition in which she found it, I heaved a big sigh of relief. I mean, we deserve it. I repaired the plaster (that was broken when we moved in) and patched and primed and painted every nail hole and repaired the toilet and washed the floors and windows and refrigerator and the woodwork and repainted the fireplace where it was stained with soot (and my DH did some things too ;)). Whew.

Internet is not installed at our new place until tomorrow - soonest they could do it. This is a blessing insofar as we have so darn much unpacking to do. I would say we're 60-70% done with that, which is better than I expected. Last night I cooked in our new place for the first time and everything I needed was right where I was reaching - a good sign. I have done much home-things shopping (and found and purchased relatively little - it will come), and have been trying out paint colors madly. I've got one for the kitchen walls, the full bath, and our bedroom. One more sample, I think, and I'll have the third bedroom. Second bedroom color awaits the arrival of yet another wallpaper sample (settled on wallpaper for our room and the dining room; mostly set for the third bedroom; not going to do wallpaper in the bathroom. Thank you, TCIE. Tough love - I need it). My, oh, my.

Obviously, as a result of this internet business, I have been a bit absent. I'm sorry. I miss you all, really. I will be back more regularly...but not right away. Because this Thursday we are flying to France for nine days. Honestly, it would be nicer if it were, say, a month later, so I could enjoy the settling-in at leisure, and also the trip-planning at leisure (with the internet at home!). But I am not complaining - no, not I. I am going to the flea market at Clingancourt. (!!!) It's OK. Don't feel bad. You can hate a barren woman - I would hate me, too :).

Love you all.

11 comments:

  1. I am so glad that your house is YOURS finally! And gosh, have a blast on your trip!! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get plenty of fabulous things in France for your new home! Looking forward to reading more posts in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. woo hoo! Congratulations on your move!!!

    And ahhhh ... France ... this week is insane for me, but in my brief moments of daydreaming time I will imagine being in France. (sigh)

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations and hope you have a magnificent trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being in your new house...finally! And I hope you have a lovely trip :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hooray!!!!! That's so wonderful! I can't wait to see the before and after pictures of all your decorating, it is going to look so good. I'm glad the whole thing is behind you and now you can work on the fun part! Also the trip sounds very exciting, I hope you enjoy it. Hopefully it provides a bit of relaxation after the hectic process of homebuying and moving. You've more than earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a GREAT week! Congratulations on moving in and getting settled. I am sure that brings a great sense of relief after all of this BOA nonsense they put you through. Please take lots of pics of your trip to France, I have never been, so maybe I can live vicariously through your trip! Are you visiting any Saint shrines or hometowns when you are over there? There are so many in France, that would be such a great experience. God Bless and safe travels! Our Lady of Loretto, pray for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. After this ordeal you deserve a trip to beautiful France! If you want any travel tips you are more than welcome to e-mail me.

    Congrats on the house! I'm so glad that it all worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, enjoy that trip to France! Eat some really cool cheese for me, and drink some excellent wine.

    So happy you're happy about the house! Sounds like it really feels like home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So thrilled for you about the house.

    Breathlessly awaiting your return from France so I can read the delicious details. Is it okay if I live vicariously through you? The only out of country traveling I've done was to military bases and across the border in Mexico (which doesn't count when you live 30 minutes from it), but I dream of France....and Italy...but yeah, France.

    ReplyDelete