Sunday, April 24, 2011

Hiya prayer buddy!

For Lent I got to pray for the lovely Karen at Hope - Pray - Trust. She's had a lot going on lately! In January she lost her beloved grandmother. On March 21st, she delivered her baby girl, Mary Grace. She's also a recent convert to the faith (yay!). I'm generally a pretty lame prayer buddy, so I decided to offer up my Lenten prayers for her. I tried to go to Mass every day, and for each day I didn't, I would pray a Rosary. It doesn't bode well for my hopes of attending Mass daily after Lent, but it came out to about 20 Rosaries and 20 Masses for her intentions, as well as a sprinkling of times I remembered to pray the Angelus.

I also had the brilliant idea that I would figure out who her patron saint for 2011 was and pray a novena to that saint. I was so proud of this little inspiration, but my super-sleuthing was unsuccessful - I'm not sure whether she signed up for a patron saint. But since she had named her baby Mary Grace, I thought a novena to Our Lady of Grace might be in order. Fr. Google is more impressive than Dr. Google, it turns out - I found out about Padre Pio's devotion to a beautiful image of Our Lady (although I think that looks like a pair of wings in the picture, not milk), and a novena associated with the image. (I screwed up and forgot on Palm Sunday, of all days, but I prayed it twice the next day and also tacked on an extra day at the end. I figure it counts one way or another.) Since Karen has just lost her grandmother and she didn't have her own mother around as an example of motherhood while she was growing up, I offered the novena for the intention that Karen become a mother like Our Lady (minus the crucifixion part. I was very specific).

Anyway, since I hadn't "met" Karen before the prayer buddy draw, and I now no longer have to be sneaky, I am adding her to my "with babies" blogroll. Go over and say hi!

And, I have to share one thing from the Easter Mass readings (at the Vigil we attended, they read all seven readings, not counting the Epistle and the Gospel!). This is the fourth reading, from Isaiah 54:
O afflicted one, storm-battered and unconsoled,
I lay your pavements in carnelians,
and your foundations in sapphires;
I will make your battlements of rubies,
your gates of carbuncles,
and all your walls of precious stones.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for all of your prayers! I was so excited and happy to find out who had been praying for me. It has been a very bittersweet start to the year and I know your prayers have helped me to get through some very rough days/weeks! I am so happy to have a new friend in our little blog world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the beautiful rosary, medal and adorable dress! I can't wait for Mary-Grace to fit in! You are so thoughtful! Thank you again for all of your prayers. :)

    ReplyDelete