Thursday, December 23, 2010

yet another HCG question

Hey all. So thanks to the suggestion of a lovely lady who lives in the DC area and sent me an email, I stopped by a compounding pharmacy that's really close to my house, open on Saturdays and till 7PM weekdays, and is angelically nice: Preston's Care Pharmacy. (First I called Kubat's - they absolutely have to have the doctor call the prescription in, which is not a requirement I would to risk in view of my phone-related difficulties with Tep.eyac - and then Freedom Pharmacy, which left me on hold for about ten minutes without even estimating a wait time. What kind of call volume could they have on the afternoon of December 23rd?)

The problem: the only brand of HCG their wholesaler carries is Novarel. From the information the (awesome) pharmacist was able to find on the computer, the Novarel people say you're only supposed to inject it intramuscularly - but then, she found mention on the techniques website of some people injecting it subcutaneously (what my prescription calls for, and what I would prefer to do). I was of the understanding that other bloggers who've taken HCG have taken it subcutaneously.

Please, enlighten me: if you've taken HCG (or know of someone else who has), was it intramuscular or subcutaneous? If subcutaneous, what brand did you use? (I believe Ovidrel is commonly used sub-Q, but I'm particularly interested in anyone who has taken Novarel subcutaneously.)

Thanks a million, again, guys!!!

12 comments:

  1. Not much help here, as I used Ovidrel each time. And, you're right, it was subcutaneously.

    Hope the drama ends soon and you are on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm no help. I used Pregnyl and it was IM injection.

    I do think Sew did Sub-q injections with her brand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many compounding pharmacies are making HCG available without a needle! They can make sublingual drops, or nasal sprays and even transdermal gels designed to deliver the medication through the skin.

    So far patients at our pharmacy have had the most success with the nasal spray.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure if this will help, but I take Chorionic Gondotropin SQ on P+3, 5, 7, 9. Its a freeze-dried product that I need to diluent.

    Hope things work out for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took it subQ. It didn't hurt at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to get mine through kubats but when i started getting it through my mail order I swear it was nova.arel but none here to confirm and I was only on it a few months. dr. hilgers gave me the sub q instructions this time (I did intramuscular before when getting through kubats) and i assume they knew it was novarel and not through kubats anymore, but i don't know for sure. sorry not more help! memory is so dang fuzzy, its frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have absolutely no advice about HCG...but I wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I am alive. I also wanted to let you know that I am merging An Eternal Butterfly with my old blog on blogspot and I have started writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did IM, and yeah, it sucked. But still was nothing compared to many other pains in life. :) I know, helpful, right?

    I love the hymn you cite up top! So beautiful. May your hope spring from this darkest time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I did HCg intramuscularly....but maybe it was FSH? Now I am confused. The freedom pharmacy has videos on line and good news, intramuscalar needles hurt LESS than sub q, they are bigger, but they hurt less!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have done HCG subcutaneously every time. i did ovidrel and then pregnyl, both subcutaneously. the pregnyl bottle says it is meant to be injected IM but my MD told me it could be done subcutaneously. and, the pregnyl actually worked as a trigger used that way.... i know because i had a BFP..... only to have a miscarriage..... but still, i clearly ovulated with the trigger. have you tried going to a pharmacy associated with one of the medical school universities in the DC area? either Georgetown or George Washington? i am sure that both have reproductive endocrinology departments with MD's who would be proscribing HCG. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I did Novarel sub-q. The prescription did say IM, but everyone else I had ever heard of taking HCG did sub-q so that's what we did... After taking it that way, I had evidence the HCG was doing what it was supposed to be doing (PMS gone, luteal phase improved, blood tests in luteal phase showed great numbers) so I just continued doing it sub-q.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm male, but had a pituitary tumor and require hcg for fertility. I was taking noverel via IM and had my wife get pregnant with our first daughter that way. My endocrinologist said I could take it subQ, and it was noverel, not Ovidrel. My second daughter was born that way and it seemed to work fine. I do wonder what is different about Noverel that they don't say it is ok for subQ, but it did work for me just fine.

    ReplyDelete