Thursday, June 17, 2010

the fertile octogenarian

When I read Infertile Naomi's charming "your reasons" post at her blog, 999 Reasons to Laugh at Infertility (I have read all the reasons so far. Love that blog), I realized I had never titled a post "the fertile octogenarian." Which seems like a major oversight on my part.

You see, unless you're a lawyer (or, even if you are), you don't need to know anything about the Rule Against Perpetuities (RAP). It's a venerable, leather-bound, cobweb-shrouded, yellowed, Gothic-printed old theory about how people are allowed to determine the chain of succession of land that they grant (give) or devise (leave to others in their wills). Based on that description, you might surmise that I enjoyed this small corner of the law immensely, and you would be right. I may be one of two or three law school graduates in the last century who felt that way.

Oh, so you can form your own opinion - here is the rule itself:

No interest is good unless it must vest, if at all, not later than twenty-one years after some life in being at the creation of the interest.

I could have done 80% of that from memory - maybe the whole thing, given time. :D Also, I know what it means. (Does that mean it doesn't matter that my garden refuses to produce any vegetables? No? Ah, well.)

Anyway, the RAP and its associated lore include a concept called "the fertile octogenarian." As I noted on Naomi's blog, in a traditional legal education, every first-year law student must know the meaning of this concept. Her post's charming reminder of the idea made me realize that it really needed to be a blog post title.

My DH and I still haven't had The Talk about what treatment I'll do (there's currently no rush because I was already into the buildup to peak this cycle by the time I had the appointment, and during my entire next fertile phase, he will be traveling; also, I have sent some questions to Dr. L/C for further information, and heard no response of any kind), nor have we scheduled our SA appointment (we're hoping for next Friday, so we need to get on that). And we haven't had The Talk about our future, though while we have been waiting to do so, we've had several nasty arguments about it. Progress, right? No.

Anyway, in view of the apparent fact that the gods hate me, and that I cannot plan for so much of my future as would allow me to buy a couch, let alone a house, I take comfort in the fact that my chosen avocation gives me at least 60 more years to achieve a pregnancy. I guess I have all the time in the world to try different medications...

6 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that since you are a lawyer you have many more years of fertility. I hope you and your husband can have your Talk about the Future and that Dr. L/C will get back to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All that legalese makes my head spin :). But, I'm glad you found some loophole that allows you more time to get pregnant - you lawyers are good at that (finding loopholes, that is).
    Hope you and the hubs manage to find some time to work through the "talks". It sucks having a hubby who travels so much :(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 60 years,is that all? Hopefully you and DH can have the "talk" and decide which pill will make you the mom I pray you will become soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, I'm with callmemama, made my head spin! lol Do you think that same principal applies to me as well? because really i'll only be 88 in 60 years. ;)
    I hope you and the Mr get to work everything out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. aaaagh - swallowed comment. telegraph version. Seriously bummed that I couldn't understand the RAP even on 2nd reading. I think I get the general idea now(thank you Wikipedia). Yes you get points for understanding.
    Also big points for working on scheduling the SA - it's not fun, but it needs to be done.
    hoping things calm down a bit so you can have a talk if not THE talke

    ReplyDelete
  6. You brought back bad memories with RAP! I think you are right you are one in a very very small group to enjoy learning the intricacies of that rule. Shudder.

    ReplyDelete