Thursday, April 15, 2010

shopping

You know how they say if your New Year's resolution this year is to quit smoking, next year it will probably be to lose weight? So I've heard, anyway.
I feel like the BFN post is naturally followed by the shopping post, right? I never outgrew enjoying shopping as an activity, though I really hated malls by about age 21. I'd like to be clear here that I don't shop much. Yes I enjoy it as a purely recreational activity (I note that as many hours I fill with enjoyment of furniture, decor, and real estate, I haven't spent a dime on them since 2008), and I go to the grocery store every week, and every couple of weeks I drop $25 in a thrift store for a cute skirt and a top and something else random that may or may not be a really inspired idea but generally seems to be at the time. But I don't head down to the mall or my favorite boutique every couple of weeks and spend $200, either, and I think a lot of people do (notthatthere'sanythingwrongwiththat).

However, last night, after I finished my tax returns at 1:30AM (don't ask), I had passed the point at which my judgment is gone. With some people, that's two glasses of wine, and then they forget to stop drinking. With me, it's after 1AM on a work night, and I forget that I have to go to bed. And I wanted to look up this necklace I had seen at Target. And I found it, and it was OK, but then I realized that I could find something nicer for a better price at overstock, and then I saw a necklace I wasn't expecting to need but clearly do (check it out):


And then I remembered that my handbag, while really the perfect work bag and very sturdy, is not real leather, and so the edges of all the fake-leather trim are fraying and it looks really kind of unprofessional even though I don't notice it most of the time, and I should not really be carrying it to work, and I have been telling myself I need to get one that's really leather, but even at Marshall's the leather ones start at $80 and I know that's reasonable but I just can't do it. And then I found one from a label I always really like for $40, which clearly is reasonable, and it's red, and that matches black, gray, navy, and brown, and obviously is what I should buy.

Oh and then I remembered that my brown commuting flats (I have brown and black) are six years old, worn through, were $13 at Payless, and are now chewing up the heels of my stockings, and I found a really cute pair that are really leather for $27 on amazon. And I have a $25 gift card from Christmas.

And when I was looking at necklaces on overstock, I realized that when I head to Austria in May, I'll see my sister, and her birthday will be two weeks away, so clearly that's when I should hand over her present, and I think she'd really like this:


Clearly any one of these things would be totally fine, justifiable, maybe even prudent (the first necklace is simply a splurge, but I could wait until that maybe goes on discount), but in the aggregate, maybe a bit much. So since everyone (especially Dr. G!) had such awesome helpful information on the endo/pill question, I know you'll know - what's the limit on feel-good purchases immediately after the missed period/BFN combo deal?

I'm not sure a shopping post deserves an update, but I would like to note for the record that I now have the world's faintest pink spotting - more like a spot - on CD33. And I bought the handbag and the necklace for my sister.

13 comments:

  1. You sound frugal, similar to me that you wear cheap things a long time until they are gone. I think a few pairs of hose is more than your shoes. So, I'd say go for it. :) You need the shoes and handbag, and well, might as well throw in the necklace for yourself and check the bday gift off your list. I have a love/hate relationship with shopping; I am impatient. I want to find the perfect thing fast or I walk out. Lots of good finds. You need them anyway, why not let today be the day and get some feel good out of it too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to think that there is no limit but Mr. Thankful (Snicks) does not agree, of course! Actually, I think that the limit has a direct correlation to how much you thought you may get a BFP. So, in your case, there is no limit. For me, however, this last CD1 was no biggie, so a bunch of flowers from Snicks was just right. Does this make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, *all* those things sound perfectly reasonable. You are so good at shopping around and pricing things! Just think of how much money you'll SAVE by spending money on these reasonable items. A $40 leather bag for work is just a crazy good deal. Do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To add to that ... I think you could buy almost all of these items on the basis that they are practical, somewhat needed and very good deals. The only real splurge, I suppose, would be the necklace. And your CD1kinda certainly deserves a necklace splurge. Especially that necklace, which is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you're not breaking the bank, then a little therapeutic shopping isn't a bad a bad thing, especially if you're getting presents for your sis. It sounds like you're getting things that you need too!

    I'm a professional shopper and I'm always on the lookout for a bargain. I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how many red purses I own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That second necklace is very nice! I would like it for a birthday present.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Retail therapy is therapy...the limit is when you start to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only limit is that of your budget. I hope the shopping helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think we all enjoy a good shopping post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just popping in to say Hi. I have been reading up as much as I can. The fundraiser is over and now I can get back to a life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love some retail therapy when down or drugged LOL - after all my surgeries/procedures when I am holed up at home and medicated I always end up online and a few days later packages arrive. My friend thinks it's hilarious and can't wait to see what I have purchased. And I LOVE the pearl necklace I have one almost just like it I bought from a craft fair in Memphis last year. I bet you can't wait to see your sis.

    ReplyDelete