Monday, January 18, 2010

good news for MFers

Heh heh. So, I have no idea whether we have male factor infertility, since we're so on the ball we've never even had an SA. Someday, right? We've chosen to proceed as though that is an issue, though, and try to do everything to optimize in that area. (Next on the list is tracking down some proxeed.)

Anyway, our IRL infertile friends who see the good doctor in Omaha have the husband taking something called "maca" (root extract) - a Peruvian herb - which Dr. H is recommending to improve motility. That's not its "label" use, but apparently there has been some success with it.

So here's the good news: I went to our friendly local Vitamin Shoppe this evening (where I got my Fo Ti root and Guarena - thanks Cathy! They seem to be working, or something is working), and they had FOUR DIFFERENT BRANDS of Maca. So this stuff is definitely available. I would guess GNC and suchlike places have it too.

So there you have it: if the guys just wanna hang around poolside instead of doing their required laps, for $10 or $12, no prescription, you can get yourself 60-100 of some Peruvian magic pills that may, or may not, do anything about it.

(I am positive at least one blogger I read has struggled with motility issues that haven't responded to the treatments they've tried, so I hope this information gets where it needs to go!)

9 comments:

  1. Oh, I am going to get my husband some of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot you guys hadn't done an SA yet! DH was certainly not interested in any special vitamins until we did the SA and found that the morphology was still really low, and the other numbers were fine, but not super great. Now, he takes it no problem (although forgets a lot). I guess your hubby is pretty psyched at getting to skip the SA altogether (for now anyway)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting. Isn't it funny all the things you learn about when going through IF? Staggers my mind sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is hilarious, thanks. Funnily enough, I think I just got my husband some fancy man face lotion from body shop that included the same Peruvian root.
    What are the Fo Ti root and Guarena for?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting information. I tried maca myself a few months ago, but it didn't do a thing. My DH has decent motility but less than ideal forward progression (the little buggers are moving but slowly or in circles). Maca certainly couldn't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now, see, I didn't even know there was a difference between motility and forward progression. (I thought it was motility, morphology, and numerosity, if you will.) Swimming aimlessly in circles didn't occur to me. So, if there's no motility, though, there'd be no forward progression either - no swimming, in any direction?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. JB is on a vitamin concoction that our Napro doc made up for him. Perhaps I need to get some Maca for him too! I figure that I have to go through all of the invasive stuff (like surgery!) and needles and all he has to do is take VITAMINS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. D is supposed to get a formal SA done before my surgery, but I'll definitely keep this information in mind if any issues come up. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. If I could get hubby to take anything this might be something to look into.

    ReplyDelete