Wednesday, December 30, 2009

hail the new, ye lads and lasses (but mostly lasses)

So I mentioned (for the zero people who keep minute track of all the things I say in blog posts, and are keeping score between my multiple personalities) that I was going to do a list of things, resolutions or something of that general nature, for the New Year. To make my life better so I'm happier and can deal with life with IF.

(By the way, a post on the kitchen is coming. Also, we're going to go see the house in the daylight on Thursday morning. This could actually happen!)

Oh also, you need to read this. OK, so here goes:

(1) At least once a week, I'm going to walk to morning Mass in English (7AM, 1.09 miles from my house). I hope to work that up to daily eventually.
(2) I'm not going to stay up past 1AM on a work night ever, and I will try to be in bed by 11:30.
(3) At least once a month, I will make an hour of Adoration. I hope to work that up to weekly.
(4) Every day I will say at least one very brief prayer to my saint for 2010, who is Catherine Laboure. I've never known much about her, so this will be a good opportunity to learn. (Apparently I have been very unfair the blogger who kindly drew saints of the year, as several commenters, more diligent than I, have explained. I should have known that I would be the one who screwed up.)
(5) I will give up on getting Fr. Paul to call me back about a spiritual director. I will contact a different pastor, by email, and ask where to get a spiritual director. If that doesn't bear fruit, I will give up entirely.
(6) I will go on a retreat with my husband in the first half of the year.
(7) I will eat more protein, cut way down on workplace candy, and stop bingeing on food. I will be conscientious about discerning what foods mess up my stomach, and I won't eat them.
(7.5) I will drink a lot more water.
(8) I will go to the gym three days every work week. I will increase my weights and times. At least once a week, I'll run three miles on the treadmill.
(9) I will run at least one 5k and one 10k with my husband.
(10) I will get all my dental work done in 2010. And I will have a doctor look at the rest of my moles and do any biopsies before the new health care bill goes into effect.
(11) I will find someplace in the area to do some sort of charity work for the poor or needy, at least once a month.
(12) I will read a non-law-related book for fun at least once a month.
(13) I will pack my lunch for work. If I fail to pack my lunch, I will not eat lunch.

I may have to come back and edit this with things I left off.

I'm also going to do something else, which I think will really help. I have a constant sense of apathy and failure about my life. I know that with projects, studying, whatever I've had to do, I am motivated by accomplishment - if I see I'm doing well, I work harder and feel better. So I'm going to make a big poster with blocks for each week. I'll designate star or smiley-face stickers for each goal that's periodic, and I'll mark the weeks and months in which I've accomplished them. Maybe I'll even find a way to do a virtual version of this, too.

P.S. I'm going to do a year retrospective, but I'm going to wait a few more days until my year blogoversary on January 2!

13 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the Dave Barry article was hilarious...I think we need to start blaming IF on George Bush as well...

    I right there with you with most of your resolutions...especially #10. Dental work seems to be afterthought with me. I actually have ok teeth and it is not that I dread the dentist...far from it. I don't mind going at all, I just don't think about it. My husband on the other hand has horrible teeth and we spent a nice sum of money on his this year. It is so bad that he said he hopes our future children inherit my teeth because his are so bad. Thanks for posting your list..I am inspired to formally document mine as well. God Bless and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Dave Barry piece.

    I'm impressed. You have a very ambitious list. I have to cut my resolutions down to 5 in the hopes that I will accomplish at least one.

    On the saint draw . . . yours was Catherine Laboure. The blogger got overwhelmed and couldn't email everyone directly, so she posted them. (I forgot about it so thanks for reminding me). Yours is listed on Patron Saint Draw #13.
    http://michaelgabrielraphael.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your goals sound good and I'll be praying for you that you'll be able to accomplish them. The goal charts sounds like a great visual reminder and motivator.

    The Misfit – Catherine Laboure (Where Angels Blog did post, she just doesn't email) I hope it makes you feel a bit better that you weren't forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take heart!
    I KNEW I had seen your name on the list.
    And I went back and sure enough, November 6th, there's a post about Saint draws that reads:

    The Misfit – Catherine Laboure

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I love your list and am jealous it's warm enough to walk to church where you are!
    You've inspired me, I think I'll try the same in the spring. You also made me realize that with perpetual adoration not so far away, I really, really need to get there at least once a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - I don't know if you're talking about the same patron saint draw blog, but she doesn't email the saints to each person. She posts them on her blog itself, so you have to check back for it. I was a bit confused until I went back to check and found my name.
    In fact, I just went back and checked, and found your name listed on 6 Nov -
    "The Misfit – Catherine Laboure"
    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I admire all of your resolutions! I haven't even thought of what I'm going to do in 2010 besides "stay out of the hospital except to give birth."

    I wish you a very Happy New Year Misfit! I hope many blessings find you in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow...that's a lot of resolutions. I stick with 3 or 4 and at the end of every year..I check to see how I did. I know I won't be putting getting pg on mine this year. Haaa....

    I'm with you about getting dr check ups before that healt.h car.e bil.l passes which for me includes a mam.ogram. I'm on the thresholds of the big 4.0....so it's time. Ugh..hey it saved my friend's life! She was 39.

    I wouldn't take it personally that that lady forgot/overlooked to give you a saint. She got so many post requests...I can bet on it that you are not the only one. Have you checked again? She only did so many per day...I had to really find mine. I should pray to my saint too. Maybe he can give me some strength in this Living His Will journey.

    God bless you and I pray you have a wonderful New Year!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanted to say I love your list and even moreso I love your poster with blocks. It is the only way I have ever actually accomplished my new year's resolutions (I will post a funny about that very soon) as I am motivated, it seems, the same as you. good luck and prayers to you for a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Misfit, you are my hero!! Those are some teriffic resolutions. I could never put togther such a list, let alone accomplish it. :)

    By the way, my spiritual director is a deacon. Have you thought about asking a deacon for this? Deacons can give blessings too. :) The priests in my diocese are so overworked, I think they only give spiritual direction for vocation discernment or a select few.

    Happy 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a regular reader of the IF Catholic blogs, but I rarely post. I need to say THANK YOU Misfit for this post and the responses, because I thought I had been overlooked for the saints drawing, too! I just went and found my saint, and I almost fell over! St. Katherine Drexel!

    There is a chapel not four minutes from my house which is in a parish (not mine), and it is the St. Katherine Drexel Chapel. It is so named because her PRIVATE ALTAR that she had in her home (and that she received her vocation while praying in front of!!) is in that chapel! With the Tabernacle on top of it, and her picture next to it!

    I have always loved the chapel, but I rarely get there (my parish is further away). However, to know that she was drawn for me, and that her own altar is in walking distance is just blowing my mind. (Years ago, I had one of my only "mystical" experiences in front of that altar.)

    What a great way to start the New Year! Thank you and I will pray for ALL of you before that altar, in front of our Eucharistic Lord. And I will learn more about this great saint whom I have not taken much time to get to know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. I may have to steal your list. It's way better than mine. I'm feeling a little inferior here.

    Don't give up on the spiritual director thing. Keep looking. I'll ask St Anthony to help you. He's pretty good at finding things. :)

    Love, from us. We're still praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Dave Barry article was great! Your list of resolutions looks exhaustive and exhausting to me! Best wishes in 2010.

    ReplyDelete