Wednesday, November 25, 2009

good stuff, yo

Before I go on about houses (which I'm just about to), I would like to say a few words about my cycle. One of the words young ladies should not say starts with "f," but there is just no other way to describe this cycle. It's f-ed up.

Now, I didn't chart the cycle during which I had my surgery, because my CM was so darn weird. But I was going to chart my next cycle. I hadn't gotten around to writing it down, but I had it memorized - the two or three days of very heavy flow, with clots (yay TMI!) that I don't remember having in a decade (if ever), blah, blah. And then fertile CM on CD8 and 9 (SERIOUSLY!) and none thereafter. And then on CD19 (NINETEEN!) spotting. OK, fine, early peak (or whatever that was) could mean a really short LP too maybe? Ooh, except I've now had three running days of very light - almost invisible - spotting.

I may be ridiculously, award-winningly infertile - seriously, I might set some records here, right? I know, there's a lot of competition around - but I've had consistent-length cycles, no spotting before my period started for months (umm, not in response to any treatment, it just stopped), ovulated every darn cycle for years, and even had relatively decent LP lengths, plus totally normal CM. And then I have an HSG and an SHG and my CM got screwed up and, though it improved after a few months, never got back to the healthy pattern it was - and then I had surgery so I would be all better (HA!) and I DON'T EVEN MENSTRUATE ANY MORE. Seriously, if I didn't have a vagina, I wouldn't be sure I was a biological female at all here.

Because what does Dr. L's "your best odds are in the twelve months after surgery" mean if I spend the better part of those months (the first few must be the better odds anyway, right?) NOT OVULATING OR MENSTRUATING?! It's a good thing I have given up on ever having a biological child, or I might be really UPSET that I spent time in the hospital, gave myself four enemas (causing hemorrhoids for weeks. I am twenty-seven and have never delivered a child, and let me tell you, I LOVE HEMORRHOIDS), took sick time so all my coworkers thought I was a freak, got a second, even larger scar across my abdomen, and am NO healthier and my fertility signs are WAY, WAY WORSE, and this would be funny if it wasn't actually NOT FUNNY AT ALL. I don't know what organs you removed, so-called doctor, but we are NOT AMUSED over here. Are you listening? No. Well, never mind, then. On to the house.

So the dh and I went to see the tan house with the realtors last night - first time we've been inside. Here's the house on the outside again (not when we were there, 'cause it was dark):


And I took a whole bunch of interior shots, but they load to the internet crazy slow. So here's just a few, for interest value. First, the living room and the family room (the latter being an addition) are both a really good size. The floor plan makes me think more federal than Victorian (fewer nooks and oddly-shaped rooms), and I like Victorian better, but this is OK too. The living room has a lovely mantle and so forth. It does have two giant support posts, which are nice-looking but interrupt the floor plan a bit. The family room has lots of wall space for all the bookshelves I want. The walls aren't the knotty-pine paneling I expected - they're dry, untreated raw wood, as far as I can tell. I'm intrigued. Do I paint it? Leave it?


Kitchen has older white wood cupboards, which I would repaint (they look slightly worn), but are OK. Nice, newer white appliances. Sadly, the house is not plumbed for gas, but I am willing to accept a glass-top electric stove as a second until I can get my Chambers gas stove. The wood floors in the kitchen (which continue from the dining room) are comparatively recent, cheap, and, in the kitchen, already warped from water exposure. This confirms all my prejudices against wood floors in the kitchen, and I would rip them out and replace them with slate. I would also rip out the old formica countertops and replace them with butcher block. There's a nice work triangle, as you can see below. The layout is super-weird, but I'm sure I could put a rolling table between the dishwasher and the other part of the counter.


Also, did I mention that all the rooms on the first floor have high ceilings and beautiful trim? One issue: these people may have gone overboard with the built-in storage, and not of the best quality. The upstairs bedrooms didn't originally have closets, I guess, and the solutions they came up with are not precisely what I would have suggested:


The master is an OK size (not huge) but does have that screened porch, which is pretty giant. Maybe five or six feet deep, even. Could do a lot with that.

Good news: the bathrooms are really pretty good. There's only 1.5, so eventually it will need more, but I definitely wouldn't gut them (and most of the other houses need that!). Turns out the half bath downstairs isn't under the stairs - it's actually at least two rooms away from the "entertaining" rooms (living room, family room, and dining room), which is key.


So what would I do? Obviously, the kitchen needs work. Dining room needs fresh paint, new wallpaper, and a new wood floor laid. Other rooms need painting. Door frames upstairs need to be ripped off and replaced with trim that matches the original (the silly '70s stuff they put on looks really out of place there). They put carpet all over the upstairs and it needs to be ripped out and the floors underneath repaired if necessary. Same with the downstairs bedroom. Some shelves need straightening and some need to be ripped out. Plus, they put WAY too many shutter-style doors up everywhere, and some need to be replaced just to relieve the monotony. The basement is damp, wet even - so the gutters, and maybe roof, need replacing, and it needs the outside ground graded, and maybe a sump pump and some sealing. But it will never be a finished basement - I can only stand up in most of it. That's a lot of work and expense, but I don't have to gut bathrooms! I'm sure happy about that.

We also met the realtors! I really like the realtors (they were the realtors selling the original "my house" waaaay back when). I was iffy on some of the terms of their contract, but they said we could just do all the paperwork after we found a house. (These are some pretty awesome people. If anyone needs a realtor in Maryland, you let me know.) So now, we have our own realtors, and I trust them. We did tell them that we were thinking about maybe closing a deal in March/April. They were OK with that, but they did think all the houses we like will be gone by then. I don't agree. They had been on the market for months when we found them this summer. Winter is a slow time for the real estate market. And they know which one is supposed to be my house. It will wait.

3 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that your treatments have made your body work more poorly. If I could kick-start it (without having to actually kick you of course), then I would. I'm glad that you think you have found a house that you're happy with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your cycle. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck house-hunting. It's a trying but rewarding experience, you'll be happy you waited when you are in the house of your dreams this spring/summer.

    ReplyDelete