Friday, October 23, 2009

great leaps forward

I can cough and it doesn't hurt. The under-the-skin stitch (in some other layer of something that I can't actually see) on the far left that had a searing/ripping sensation every time I laughed or moved leftward has stopped doing that. I can wear a lot of my clothes, I behave mostly normally at work (though my constant gas has come back - BUT ONLY AT WORK. WTH?), and this morning, when the walk light was about to change, I scooted across the street - almost a run. Next Monday is two weeks, and I think I may even try out being a strap-hanger on the bus. Milestones, and whatnot.

I have a follow-up appointment with Dr. L on Friday. I have all sorts of important questions to ask her. I didn't get my p+7 draw done this cycle because I figured all my signs were so wonky from the surgery-related discharge. But she said next cycle was time enough. And she gets to lift my restrictions on delightful activities like carrying more than ten pounds, wearing tampons, and sex.

Oh, while we're on the subject, I have a question, internet people. Yes, yes, she can clear me for sex when she sees me. But I know how this works - you always see the doctor and say, "Am I good to do x?" and they always say, "Oh, x? Gosh, I didn't know you were waiting on that. You could have done that weeks ago!" So I want to know - how long after surgery is one supposed to have sex?

I recognize that a careful observer might perceive an apparent discrepancy between this post and mine two previous. I can assure you that no such discrepancy exists. You see, having sex with me is a religious experience - guaranteed to bring back any person of good will even from the brink of despair. The surgical scar is a bonus. (Actually, my husband probably thinks that. He tried to get me to show it to all our guests. GOOD GRIEF.)

Happy weekend, infertiles.

16 comments:

  1. My surgeon said it was good to wait 2 weeks after surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, most doctors really mean that whole "wait until I see you thing" or pelvic rest as we in the medical field call it. One of the reasons is no risk mechanical injury to anything that is still healing, no introduction of bacteria from your husband to healing tissue and that sort of thing.
    They just want to check that you are healed before you have sex.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress is progress :)

    I'm not sure about your specific surgery, but I was told to wait 2 weeks . . . which I promptly failed to do (on accident).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you are healing well from your surgery. I hope your re-conversion method works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. making great strides--don't give up

    www.wishtobeamommy.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you have a laparotomy? If so, how are you back at work? Just don't forget to still take it a little easy.

    When I saw her at my post-op appointment (which was two weeks), she didn't even mention sex. She actually didn't mention anything else either, like driving, and I just forgot to ask. So I just resumed normal activity after I left.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're healing nicely!!! I've been praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha, still laughing to myself about your last paragraph...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, I had a laparotomy. I was out for a week (surgery Monday), and then I worked Monday and Tuesday from home. I had Thursday off, but I was in the office all day Wednesday and Friday. I walked a little slowly Wednesday and I had to wear the belly-band and loose-fitting clothing, but I did really well. I'm a champion healer. Of myself, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ,personally, would wait until you see the dr. You just never know how the healing is going and you wouldn't want to get an infection or undo something that has been done. I waited until my follow up..which was about two weeks after the surg. Glad to hear you are healing nicely and can get back to your normal life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man, your last paragraph made me spit my coffee all over my screen! :)

    I'm glad you're healing!

    Thanks for the suggestions on my blog - I appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were back at work the next week after a laparotomy??? Wow. I'm with AYWH, take it EASY, woman! Dr. Steg.man would not allow me back for 4 weeks (originally he said 6, but then said I could go back at 4 and take it VERY EASY for 2 weeks, no lifting, etc.)
    He told me not even to do laundry for 4 weeks!! I think they worry most about adhesion formation after a laparotomy, so just make sure you're taking care of yourself. I heal quickly, too (I'm a champion blood clotter, haha!), but wasn't feeling back to myself until the 5th week or so.

    As for sex, as long as it's not hanging-from-the-chandelier, riding horses, obstacle-course sex, I'd say you're fine after 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just wait til I'm not achy anymore. Like right now x is completely out of the question after my HSG on Thursday leaving me with a lovely lady parts infection. Nope, no x here til I'm feeling up for it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, you are a champion healer! nice work.

    i had laproscopic and a hysteroscopy but still was told to wait 2 weeks, which i did. begrudgingly.

    i remember there was a list of "dont's" and one of them was "vaginal rest" - the paper was out on the bar for a few days and i didn't even notice after all our family had been over. nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was three weeks after my laparoscopy for me. I think it was that long because Dr. S removed some deep endo near a uterine artery and wanted to make sure everything was healed well enough to withstand the activity. Even then, I felt cramping afterwards, but only the first time or two.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, as a doctor of insanity only, I cannot give you medical advice on sex after surgery. The only time I've had real surgery was when my perenuium got stitched up with a something-degree tear after dead-baby childbirth. And believe me hon, the prospect of sex was decidedly NOT the temple-of-wonderfulness that you're referring to here. I felt about as sexy/sexual/sexed-up as...um...a 90-year-old Amish grandmother. ANYWAY. I'd still press your doc for that info and jump in the sack as soon as ya can (I've moved past my earlier unsexy stage...ha!). Until then, maybe some alternatives? Um, have him suck on your toes?

    ReplyDelete