I just talked to my DH. They gave him the job. They also decided that his salary requirement was too low - and raised it by 10 per cent. He starts Monday.
He had been unemployed almost exactly 6 months.
I'm sort of blown away. I think it happened overnight.
Of course, there are complications. It's not a permanent spot, rather a 12-18 month assignment, but with a high chance of another long-term project after that. I originally thought the office was in Rockville (REALLY close to my house), but it turns out to be in Springfield (really far). On the other hand, he'll be traveling so much (3-4 weeks at a time, every other month) that the location of the office is slightly less important. Naturally, I'm kind of horrified that he'll be traveling this much. I understood there was travel involved, but I didn't understand it would be that long at a time. I hate being home without him.
Would you believe, now that all this has happened suddenly, I'm less sure about the house. If his job were right near it, I might see it as a sign. But as it is, the timing is so short. Tomorrow is the last day of our old lease, and we need to decide whether we want to renew (they sent the forms the day before yesterday). If so, we couldn't move till the end of March. We could ask to go month-to-month, but I think I'm driving my landlord crazy with the negotiations, and it would only be worth the extra expense if we moved well before March. If we wait that long to move, we could lose the house (or find a better one?), we'd probably miss the lower interest rates, and we'd definitely lose the tax credit. On the flip side, every month we wait, we can increase our savings. So the funny thing is, I could badger my landlord to give us a month-to-month, get preapproved in about a week, visit a house or two, and before winter have substantially started on my remodeling plans...but I'll be all by myself so much of the time (arguably an advantage if I'm remodeling). The *idea* sounded so exciting. But now that I could pull it off...
I have a superabundance of opinions, but on this matter I am INCAPABLE OF DECISION.
I would like to point out that I have recognized the hugeness of the fact that since my dh is now within spitting distance of my salary, should there be a need, I could work half time, and we'd still be able to pay for a mortgage and put money in the bank. Not that there could *possibly* be a need for that.
(Would I be doing this if I were holding my first ever positive hpt right now? Yes. Yes, I would.)