Monday, June 22, 2009

it's the small victories

I just knew there would be an answer to my TV dilemma, and I was ever-so-chagrined at myself when I realized I had completely neglected my old stand-by, Craig's List. The thought finally occurred to me yesterday, and sure enough, as soon as I took a look, I found a few dozen TVs for sale in NoVA, including several that were right near me, $50 or less, decent-sized, in good condition, and in fact a step up from our old model. I emailed a fellow yesterday and my darling heroic husband nipped out to get the (very heavy) item this afternoon. When I got home it was already comfortably installed on its perch. Behold, our new addition:


It's 27" (but looks bigger because of those speakers on the sides - good thing the guy with the 32" model didn't email back, it wouldn't have fit on our stand!), it's a step up in brand names from what we had, it's silver instead of black, which I like, it has a flat screen (not a flat panel, mind you - just the glass in front is flat, so a wee bit more modern), and it even has its own remote! Believe it or not, its two predecessors didn't have remotes. It didn't even occur to me to ask this guy whether his had one - I'd just grown to accept that changing the volume is a hands-and-feet process. No more!

Of course, I would rather not have spent $50, since we already had a TV that was fine (until its electrical outburst, obviously), but I'm very pleased with the new addition. For whatever reason (because my mental age is five, obviously), this is making my evening - though if I had not exercised discipline during my grocery shopping and had bought the hummus on the BOGO sale this week, that would really make my evening. But, I've had brief interludes of cramps anyway (hopefully not to become full-blown for a few more days), so clearly, what I really need is CHOCOLATE. And, a TV.

OH AND ALSO: this makes perfect sense to me because we have internet but not cable (cable is bad news - we watch TV by ourselves for hours and never speak to each other), but THIS IS FABULOUS. They have Spice Up My Kitchen! And Design Star! And Designed to Sell! And Color Splash (David Bromstead's totally gratuitous shirtlessness is admittedly a bit much, but his designs are tons of fun)! And you can watch them all, for free, whenever you want, on your computer!

Life is, indeed, replete with small joys.

10 comments:

  1. Woohoo for having a TV again!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - Congrats on the remote control! :)

    I am hooked on surfthechannel.com. I can watch All in the Family and M*A*S*H (and also Desperate Housewives and SATC reruns) to my heart's content!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that a Sony? It looks like ours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey misfit, I just tagged you for an honest scrap award on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been out of the loop, but I'm glad to come back and see you celebrating the small things! So glad you got a "new" TV- my hubby and I are considering cancelling our cable subscription because hulu.com is also a great (free!) website with tons of shows!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's also hulu, which has lots of good stuff (Simpsons, various and sundry shows I know are popular but don't watch). I heart internet tv.

    You're a woman after my own heart: I love getting a good find used and cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we didn't have cable sometimes because it's so tempting to just throw it on and watch for hours, but then what would I have done these last three years on the couch with endo pain? I guess watched Pride & Prejudice and Jeeves & Wooster over and over :).
    Congrats on your new TV - I love Craigslist!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had no idea! This is good information. Yay for small victories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo!! We couldn't live without our tv's. Yup, we're addicted! lol

    ReplyDelete