Monday, March 30, 2009

beauty!

These are from Saturday, I think - GLORIOUS GARDEN PICTURES!

By the way, may I mention here that I almost - but not quite - FEEL fertile a bit recently? I mean, not in the I'm-going-to-conceive-a-child sense. I no longer think of "feeling" fertile 'cause I can't have the offspring, but I used to, I think, before I knew. I think I feel that way - sort of nurturing life, and whatnot - when I'm cooking for people. But the gardening might earn a place on the list too (especially if the plants live). Humor me, anyone - when do you feel fertile? (To answer this question, ignore the voice in your head that screeches, You're infertile! Barren! Your womb is a wasteland! and all that.)

First of all, it turns out that we have THREE colors of daffodils - white with yellow trumpets, light yellow with yellow trumpets, and bright yellow with bright yellow trumpets. You'd sort of get an idea of the first and last colors here, 'cept the white ones in the foreground are a bit washed out. (Click on the photos for way more impressive detail.)

Another glorious item - when I realized we had bulbs sprouting several weeks ago, I tried to identify the plants by just their shoots. I was mystified by the crocuses (since I'd never seen them before), was spot-on with the daffodils, still believe I will be right about the irises (no buds yet), and guessed hazily that the weird ones were grape hyacinth. And they ARE. See!


Also this weekend - because I was good - I planted the rest of my seeds. Yes, I know, I seeded things in the ground too early, and I started the pots too late. But it's March, people, it's going to be fine. I'll have lots of herbs and vegetables. I've used two silicon muffin tins (because I'm crazy and turning into my mother) to start the eggplant and bell pepper seeds (twelve sprouts of each, I hope!). The terra cotta pots are rosemary (blue pot) and basil (plain pot). I've also held some herb seeds back to put in the ground outside when it gets REALLY warm - I figure a bumper crop in the summer, and then some year-round in pots in the kitchen. This is all the seeds (except the corn and squash that are already in the ground), sitting in the sun during the warm Sunday afternoon.

Finally, the best item today - my book came!!! I don't know why this is so exciting, but it is. I'm hoping to read most or all of it (though it is large) by Friday (my first RE appointment). I intend to be demanding about my treatment plan, and I want to know just what to ask for (first item: bloodwork to determine progesterone levels). Just in case I don't finish it, though, I'm starting with the most important chapters for charting and pregnancy purposes. (Not that I actually believe I will ever be pregnant. More on this later.) I've already made some substantial progress, and am excited to compare with a more extensive set of my own charts.

Next emotion on the IF roller-coaster (gosh, it's been ages since I've been here): IMPATIENCE.

5 comments:

  1. First of all - Did you grow all those beautiful flowers using only seeds? I feel like such a slacker because I usually go to the garden center and buy pre-potted flowers and put them my garden. What are seeds anyway? You are most certainly fertile in the garden sense.

    I think I've said it before, but I love that book - mostly because it was very helpful with understanding my own charts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, dear! I'll be thinking of you come Friday.

    I hope all your sprouts take off and turn into yummy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No no! The only things I've planted from seeds are those which have not yet appeared above the soil (in the pots, you know). Daffodils and hyacinth (grape and otherwise) are bulbs (as are crocuses, irises, and tulips), which means that they are, practically speaking, like perennials. They're also all spring flowers (not all the same part of spring, though), so I walked out the door one day and noticed that there was some aggressive grass in the garden. And then realized it was daffodils.

    BUT! If you have daffodils scattered in, say, your lawn, as I did, you can uproot them (carefully, with a spade), separate them down to each bulb, and plant them; they will multiply in secret, and next spring each bulb will be several, with many flowers. (I did that; I will probably have to wait till next year to reap the rewards, though SOME of my transplants do have new blooms already.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love gardens and gardening. I believe you can separate most bulbs as you did the daffodils. It might take a year or two to get flowers, but when they come, they're always beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can also give them a little bulb food, too. That will make the transplants super happy in their new spots and help them establish themselves.

    I LOVE bulbs. They are the best. My daffodils aren't up yet, but we've got hyacinths, squills (so pretty!), and some other weird things I can't recall or recognize. Gardens always like to surprise you. :)

    ReplyDelete