Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Welcome ICLW: the OUTFIT CONTEST

So now that I've basically confessed my great devotion to the Manolo websites, I figured I might as well go whole hog and shamelessly plagiarize one of the most entertaining (and, apparently, now extinct) Manolo institutions, the Build-the-Outfit contests. The idea is, he picks an insane pair of shoes. Then, you have to build an outfit to go with said pair of shoes. He picks his favorite. The best iteration of the contest had a price limit, which I'm going to adopt. We'll say someone gave you the shoes as a Christmas present; they're free. You have $200 to spend on the rest of the outfit. After the practice of another manolosphere blog, teeny manolo (but we're not going to discuss that now), I will give a symbolic (not tangible) gift to the winner.

I don't think you can post images in the comments on blogger, so just post links to the images or the pages that host them. They have to be items you find for sale on the internet - items you own do not count. Also, I do understand that part of the fun of the Manolo contest was his position as a fashion critic. Not so moi. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do about that.

One more administrative issue: I know I don't have the following for a full-blown contest. But I want one, so I'm going to hold it anyway. I will hold it open until, let's say, Valentine's Day at midnight, and if there are no contestants by then, I will win (I'll make an entry, just to be fair).

And, without further ado...the shoes! It is the Puma Alto Boot! The suede version comes in several colors - basic tan, ice blue, and even a crazy jewel blue. There may be other colors, but these babies are hard to track down.



There's also a futuristic synthetic version, here in black.






















The "Mostro Alto" was also created, in an ultra-limited edition. Seen on a few starlets, this pair is among only 170 that were sold.



11 comments:

  1. Oh, the gold ones will go perfect with my Star Fleet dress unitard! Finally, something to wear when my Klingon dude takes me out to the Officers Ball.

    And you thought your obsession with Manolo blogs was embarrassing. You could be obsessed with Sci-Fi... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. just stopping by for ICLW -- CRAZY shoes...I don't know of anything that would go with those haha. What a fun site though!

    -Kylene

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! this is great! I am totally going to come up with something for those gold ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. funny thing: our other car is a vibe :) it's a pontiac which is part of the GM family, we we get a discount on that, too. it's nice we get discount on: Saab, Buick, Pontiac, GMC, Saturn, Cadillac, Hummer, Chevy. It's pretty awesome. We like the vibe though. B drives it and hauls a lot of his art stuff around in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a lady on the train wearing a pair of those. She was here for the big yuppy football thing. Who new diamonds and footballs went together. Cute shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool boots, I have no style! I am one of those people you see on talk shoes that are in need of a style makeover! :)

    Good luck with your IF journey

    ICLW

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what I would waer with those boots! I am a Manolo and Louboutin junkie though!

    *ICLW 66*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've got suede version in black :) I'm totally in love with them!!! I'be been looking for them almost 2 years:P They look great on very tight dark jeans :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the white, black, but it took me awhile but i finally came across the GOLD puma mostro alto. How sweet. I LOVe them and wouldn't get rid of them. Atleast not anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Now I have the Blue one's that I got off ebay. How sweet. Now I just needs the tan ones

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have them in white and black, but I have worn the black ones so much that they are starting to fall apart. =( They are so amazing, I wish Puma would re-release them. Btw they are great for camping/hiking, my black ones went through dozens of hiking trips, part of the reason they are starting to fall apart.

    ReplyDelete